The Cancer Education and Career Development Program has continued through the difficult times that the COVID-19 pandemic has presented. Our weekly seminars are held virtually through Zoom meetings until further notice, as well as virtual workshops, speakers, and presentations. Our fellows continue to meet via phone or video with mentors and program directors, grant manager and admin team, and research and collaborative meetings.
Recent Alumni News
Congrats! Predoctoral fellow, Sabrina Young, successfully defended her dissertation entitled "The Role of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program in Food Insecurity and Food Acquisitions" in May 2020. She will start a position as a Research Agricultural Economist for the Economic Research Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Congrats! CECDP predoctoral alumna, Sparkle Springfield, has completed her post-doc at Stanford University and accepted a faculty position of Assistant Professor in the Department of Public Health at the Parkinson School of Public Health and Health Sciences at Loyola University Chicago.
We congratulate recent alumni on progress in their careers:
- Predoctoral fellow Sabrina Young received NIH F31 Award in Spring 2019 to continue her project “Health consequences of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program administrative decisions across the monthly SNAP benefit cycle.”
- After completeing our predoctoral training program and her dissertation in 2018, Dr. Rachel Harrington accepted a position as a research scientist for the Quality Measurement & Research Group at the National Committee for Quality Assurance in Washington, D.C.
- After completing our postdoctoral program in summer 2018, Dr. Molly Scannel Bryan joined the UIC College of Medicine as a research assistant professor working in the Institute of Minority Health Research.
- After completing our postdoctoral program in 2018, Dr. Neeraj Kumar became a senior research associate at the Center for Computational Imaging and Personalized Diagnostics at Case Western Reserve University.
- Dr. Chelsea Singleton joined the faculty of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as an assistant professor of kinesiology and community health after completing our postdoctoral program in summer 2018.
- After completing our predoctorate program in 2017, Dr. Sparkle Springfield began a postdoctoral research fellowship at Stanford University School of Medicine.